Sunday 22 January 2012

Frustrating start to 2012

Unfortunately I didn't recover in time for todays final round of the Brass Monkeys series. I knew my asthma wasn't good but I had to at least try to earn the points needed to maintain my 6th position in the series. 


It was a bright sunny start in Aldershot but with a strong, cold wind making hard work of the exposed hillside sections. The venue is not one where I have raced previously but the hillside was criss crossed by flowing sandy trails and with little rain recently it was grippy and dry too. The course was fast and open with 1000ft of climbing each lap. It should have suited me perfectly!


The top positions were gridded so I had the advantage of starting right at the front of the over 200 hundred strong field. However, within the first mile I was soon losing positions hand over fist, as I struggled for breath. Having watched my rivals for the series streak away on the first lap, I tried to continue but as I fell further back down the field I decided it was better to call it a day and improve my chances of a quick recovery than struggle on.


So after all the months of training and preparation a very frustrating and disappointing start to 2012. Things can only get better! Training emphasis switches now to speed and interval work for the short course XC season which starts in only 2 weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment