Tuesday 31 January 2012

January Summary

Miles : 561.9
Riding Time : 36 hours 21 minutes

Highlight: New Trek Madone
Low Point: The DNF. I NEVER DNF!

The early winter training had gone well and this continued over Christmas into the New Year. I concentrated mainly on 3 to 4 hour endurance rides specifically targeting the final of the Brass Monkeys Series.

Right on cue a cold brought on severe asthma just in time for race day. Looking at the results I probably missed out on a top 5 finish in the series; which is hard to take. The asthma also meant an entire week off the bike and the frustration that brings.

Thinking positively, there are lots of races in 2012 and I still have that good winter base in the bank. Sometimes a week off gives the body chance to recover after all the hard miles.

We head straight into the Gorrick XC series this weekend. Usually I target these early season events when everyone else is still a little green. This year however, I intend to use the first races as part of my preparation, building towards the southern area championship later in the season. (Obviously I will still be pushing as hard as I can!)
At least I started at the front, but I wasn't smiling for long.



No comments:

Post a Comment