Monday 19 March 2012

Huffing and Puffing!

The 2012 Southern XC series started on Sunday at the classic old school Checkendon course near Reading.

Apologies if my race summaries are beginning to sound more like weekly weather reports, but it is a critical factor in off-road racing at this time of year! Despite a dry week the rain came on Saturday, so the woodland course was a slippery maze of shiny roots. While most of the UK basked in spring sunshine a torrential downpour just after midday dampened the spirits and made certain sections almost unrideable as there was simply no grip. I can’t remember having to walk a climb on the warm-up lap before!


Unfortunately my Asthma problems had rematerialized during the week and I knew the race was going to be a struggle. However, series points were on offer so shivering and cold I gathered on the grid for the British Cycling briefing you get at these national events. It is hard not to feel intimidated by the lean, shaven legged athletes and glistening bike jewellery congregated at the start. My bike might stand up to inspection but I always feel very conscious of my hairy legs!

Determined not to get held up on the first lap I powered away from the start line onto the grassy opening loop. The guy in front of me dropped a chain and for a second I thought I was going to tangle with him but I squeezed through and he then did an excellent job of holding up those behind. The mad dash to the first singletrack got the heart beat racing and my breathing was soon struggling to keep up. I tried to recover as we wound our way through the trees but once out of the wood and back onto open trails several stronger riders surged past as I heaved for breath.

Then we plunged back into the wood and the nastiest section of the lap. A series of tight twisty off-camber climbs littered with greased roots. Everyone had to take it easy as we fought for purchase on the slimy clay and flints. I cleared the worst section and was probably still holding onto the back of the top 10. Maybe I would be alright!

At the top of the hill I rounded a bend onto a short little upward slope and the front wheel caught a root. The bike slithered out from under me and I was forced to dismount and run the next few meters until I reached firmer ground. Three or four riders came through including Alex from South Downs Bikes! Remounting I pushed to get back into contact with them but the extra exertion really started to stress my asthmatic lungs and I had to pull the inhaler from my pocket and take a couple of squirts –a few more precious seconds gone.

I rode alone into the second lap occasionally glimpsing Alex just ahead. I again cleared the climb and didn’t make the same mistake on the roots as lap one. Having passed a couple of riders I crossed the line only 20 seconds behind Alex but my breathing was worsening. Some of my friends caused quite a commotion, wildly cheering me on and encouraging me to catch Alex who was just ahead. Unfortunately all they did was alert him to my presence! (I didn’t know it but bets were being placed!) Warned of my approach he put his head down and the gap stabilised, increasing slightly back to 30 seconds on the third lap.

For the Southern series the Masters race 4 laps instead of the 3 we get in the local races. Normally I get stronger as the race progresses but illness and fatigue were now taking their toll. I continued to chase Alex, closing on him and two other riders until the steep slippery section. Then the wheels came off and I blew badly. Knowing nobody was close behind I eased back and cruised to the line.  

I know I can do better and my friends, who claim to have backed me on the internal club battle, were disappointed. However,  given how I felt  15th is a decent result and points in the bag for the rest of the season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment