Monday 30 April 2012

April Summary


Miles:                      506.5
Riding Time:             35hrs 45min

Highlight: Leading the race at Frith Hill for two laps!
Low Point: The weather

At the end of April, after three more hard fought races, I can look back with considerable satisfaction. I have had two more top ten finishes and I am currently sitting 5th in the Southern series. My results in the Gorrick events indicate a step up in performance from this point last year, when I was targeting top 20 rather than top 10.

The racing has been fun and slowly during the month my health has also improved. I am now beginning to feel more like my normal self and I can at last push myself harder on training rides. Unfortunately the weather hasn’t been kind over the past few weeks. The winter clothes are back out and my shoes are spending most of their time in the airing cupboard drying out!

There are some big events coming up so I am pleased my strength seems to be returning. Today I rode my standard midweek training loop up over the Downs at Goodwood and back through Halnaker. It is a route I must have ridden over a 1000 times in the past 10 years. An initial flat 5 mile warm-up leads into the long climb, then there are a few ripples in the middle before the final flat out blast home. This evening I rode the 20 mile route quicker than I ever have previously, averaging 19.5 mph. My previous best was in 2009, on a hot summers day when conditions were perfect. A nice little extra confidence boost!



No comments:

Post a Comment