Friday 6 April 2012

March Summary



Miles:    553
Riding Time:    37 hours   43 minutes

Highlight:      5th at Black Park XC
Low Point:    Struggling for breath at the Southern XC

3 races in 3 weeks provided a broad range of challenges from sloppy mud and shiny roots to bone dry dusty trails. I do generally ride well in adverse conditions and 5th at a sodden Black Park race provided my best result so far this year. The top 10 finish at the second Gorrick race also provided evidence of how I have progressed since this time last year. The first major event of the season was the Southern XC at Checkendon where I was pleased with 15th on a day when I was feeling far from healthy. All these results are generally positive and show progression from 2011, but the good thing is that I know there is still more to come.

In terms of training the weather has been kind, so I haven’t had to sit out any planned sessions. We sold my wifes’ car so I have been cycling to work more than usual, trawling the 18 miles backwards and forwards to the office. As I have mentioned Asthma has been plaguing me for several weeks and stopping me from putting in any high intensity work. Some interval sessions would certainly help my XC race form, so hopefully I can pick this up again as my breathing improves. With only one weekend when I wasn’t racing, almost all my rides have been less than 2 hours. This probably isn’t a problem for the XC races, but my best results normally come in the longer enduro events, so I do need to try and fit in longer rides when possible.

The clocks have changed, the evenings are longer and summer is on the way. So motivation to get out on the bike shouldn’t be a problem. There are 3 more events in April. All being well my Asthma will clear, my form will continue to improve and I can build on March’s solid performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment