Friday 1 June 2012

May Summary

Miles :                568
Riding Time :      42 hours 32 minutes


Highlight:           4th At the Erlestoke 6hr Enduro
Low Point:          24th Southern Champs

Bike racing can be hard work!
The Southern Championships was intended to be the culmination of 5 months XC racing. Unfortunately it wasn't my day as either the pressure or fatigue got to me. So onto summer, traditionally the start of the enduro season - events to which I am more naturally suited.

I hadn't been intending to ride the Erlestoke race but I took the opportunity to put the disappointment of two weeks before behind me. I needed to average 40 minute laps to complete my target of 9, which I knew would get me near the podium places. After 5 laps I crossed the line on exactly 3hrs 20min - so I knew I had to ride the final 4 laps faster than the previous 4. I dug deep, racing each lap against the clock for the next two and a half hours. There was a colossal sense of achievement when I crossed the line in 4th place! Personally this was one of my most satisfying results, I rode strongly all day beating some well respected riders.

Baby Ben is due is June so now would seem the perfect opportunity to take a break, on the back of this positive result. There are several enduro events to target later in the year, if I can survive the sleepless nights! I'll keep the reports coming in but cycling will take a back seat for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment