Friday 15 June 2012

Bontrager 29-1 Team Issue Review

A racers dream?
First impressions of the 29-1 are that it is narrow (quoted 2.0) and there is not a lot of tread! These two characteristics help give the tyre its exceptionally low weight – approx 490g for mine. Personally it is not a tyre I would consider running up front where I prefer something larger for better grip. So I have been using the 29-1 on the back wheel.

I slopped in some latex and the tyre inflated first time with the track pump – so a positive first impression. The tyre is not designed for tubeless use, but once on the rim it stayed up and using latex really maximises that low weight. Running the tyre tubeless also has the advantage of letting you run a lower pressure, helping to negate its narrow width by increasing traction and bump absorption.

There was no doubt that on the first ride I felt vulnerable, surely one flint would rip this skinny little tyre to shreds. However after a few minutes my fears were forgotten and I started to enjoy the huge benefits of such a low profile, light weight tyre. It rolled along so well it was like having a tail wind blowing me along! The lack of rotating mass also meant it accelerated out of corners like Usain Bolt from the blocks.

I left the tyre on for the recent 6 hour enduro ride at Elrestoke. The tyre behaved flawlessly, helping me crawl up the climbs, while gripping nicely in the singletrack. I have spent some time on this tyre now and despite my fears I haven’t yet had a puncture; so my initial concerns over its fragility might be unfounded.

The obvious thing to say is that the 29-1 is designed for dry, buff trails. With such a shallow tread it is a fair weather tyre and isn’t going to make much progress if conditions are greasy. A 6 hour race is fairly punishing on kit but there is now noticeable wear on the already minimal tread, so don’t purchase these expecting longevity! On the other hand compared to some tyres the cost of these Bontragers is relatively low. You could probably buy two for the price of a Schwalbe.

I have to end with my overwhelming experience of these tyres. They are FAST! If you accept that they are designed purely for dry race days – these tyres fit the bill perfectly. I never noticed any lack of grip despite their slender proportions and the low weight transforms your bike into a rocket ship!

2 comments:

  1. What did you use on the front?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment I've got a Maxxis Ikon on the front. This makes for a fast rolling set-up which really suits the Stumpjumpers racey set-up. If I need a bit more grip I've got a Schwalbe Rocket Ron but I'm less impressed with this tyre.

      Delete