Saturday 8 September 2012

August Summary


Miles: 467.2
Riding Time: 30hrs 33 min
 
Highlight: Watching Olympic MTB on the TV!
Low Point: DNF at Brighton Big Dog
 
As you’ll have guessed from the lack of posts recently baby Ferris has been taking up a lot of my time recently. Cycling has definitely been on the back burner.
 
The one exception was the Brighton Big Dog event held at the beginning of the month. The event is a 6 hour enduro around Stanmer Park north of Brighton. The omens were good, despite recent rain it was sunny and I was amazed by the huge turn out. Numbers were limited but still it was great to see so many cyclists mingling under the summer sun. 
 
Within the first 500m I knew I was in for a long day. A lack of training, plus a definite lack of sleep had not been ideal preparation. I slowly slipped back through the field up the first climb and then slipped and slid across the greasy roots of the first wooded section. The next climb saw me struggling again and I lost sight of my team mate Ian as the group I had been riding with spun away. My cycling was laboured, but this was a rare chance to get out on two wheels so I was determined to make the most of the day.
 
The second lap was a bit better as the course had dried and I was just starting to enjoy myself when I had a flat in my rear tyre. Just before the event I had splashed out on a Zefal foam filled inflation cartridge. The idea is that the foam plugs the puncture while the CO2 inflates the tyre. In my case the foam covered my hands and face while the CO2 escaped happily into the atmosphere. I limped around to the end of the lap where I used the pit area to slip in an inner tube and re-inflate the tyre.
 
Only a few minutes into the next lap and the tyre was going soft again. Yet another puncture and I decided it was time to head home!
 
Big Dog was a disappointment and showed me how far my fitness has already dropped. Looking at the result I should have been up there challenging in the top 10 but I was nowhere near that pace even without the punctures. I have done even less cycling since, but have decided to treat August as a month off! Hopefully I can get back to commuting to work in September and then target a return to racing later in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment