Friday 28 December 2012

S-Works Ground Control Review

 
Given the recent weather conditions I decided to look for a tyre with a little extra grip than my usual racing slicks. The Ground Control features large, squarish knobs that offered the promise of extra purchase in loose conditions. The knobs are well spaced so I hoped that the tyre would shed mud well when things got gloopy.
 
After some indecision I chose the S-Works version which weighs a raceably acceptable 600g for the 29x2.1in size. Heavier than my usual race tyres but hopefully it would be worth it for the extra purchase when things got slippery.
 
With a Rocket Ron already on the front wheel, I inflated the Ground Control on the rear using Joe's No Flats tubeless latex. The tyre inflated first time with a track pump. Setting the pressure at 28psi I headed for the first round of the Brass Monkeys Enduro series.
 
The course was a mixture of loose loamy soil, soft muddy sections and hard packed forest roads. The Ground Control hooked up well on climbs regardless of the conditions, digging in and powering the bike forward. It also rolled surprisingly well on the fireroad sections. However, laterally the tyre squirmed left to right, making off camber sections especially difficult. Overall I had hoped for more from the deep tread.
 
After 8 miles the tyre lost pressure instantly and on inspection the sidewall was torn. Any puncture is down to bad luck but it is difficult to recommend a tyre that you have to bin after less than an hour of riding. My feeling is that the rubber in the S-Works has been trimmed back to save weight at the expense of acceptable durability. 
 
When I got home I ordered a Maxxis Beaver. The Beaver is more costly but it's only 500g and offers better grip.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment