Monday 22 July 2013

Cancelled, Postponed & Frustrated


I haven’t seen a puddle let alone mud on the trails for months. The post ride bike clean requires only a duster. The weather has been perfect for cycling. Warm morning commutes along the seafront and balmy evening thrashes across Kingley Vale have become almost daily routine. As a consequence I’ve been piling on the miles and I’m definitely going well at the moment. After 4th place at Deepcut a fortnight ago I was eagerly anticipating  a sunny, summer of racing.
Then came the news that the 4th round of the Southern XC series had been cancelled after an issue with the land owners. Not to worry the following Sunday was my local race in Chichester. A chance of a podium or even an elusive win perhaps?
With a couple of friends I pre-rode the route a few days before and purchased a new Renegade semi slick tyre for a boost of speed on the baked chalk paths.
With final preparations underway I checked the event website to confirm the start time. To my huge disappointment and frustration it read; “Event Postponed.”
My next race is now a month away. The best summer in a decade is slipping by with no opportunity for me to prove that the recent training has added more than just a tan to my legs. What a waste of great weather and good form. For a few days, with no goal to train for my motivation waned. Already news of next year's bikes and components is flooding the web; it felt like the 2013 season was already over.
Of course it isn’t. There is still the small matter of the National XC at the Olympic venue in Essex. However, after that it is the autumn races before the winter enduros. It just seems ironic and such a shame that during weeks of unprecedented summer sunshine I am already planning my winter race schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment