Monday 25 November 2013

Brass Monkeys - Round 1

Congratulations to the Army Cycling Union! They created a cracking 7 mile course at Minley Manor, with miles of fast singletrack flowing smoothly through the woods of the estate. 

It was the type of course that rewarded you for your efforts without ever being intimidating! Never too technical, the trail wove through the trees, swinging left and right, allowing you to carry your momentum into every turn. There were a few climbs, most notably, one short, steep ramp near the beginning of the lap, but nothing to fill the heart with dread as you came round for your final lap.


The increasing popularity of this form of racing was emphasised by the packed car park. Maxed out at its 500 entry limit, this has become an extremely popular series. Given the high level of entries I wasn't sure how I was going to go. With this in mind I didn't elbow my way right to the front at the start, instead slotting in a few rows back in the pack. This did prevent me getting carried away on the first lap, but that was because I was held up by the shenanigans that always occur when the mass start converges on the first section of singletrack! Before one section I held back slightly to let a fallen rider move aside, only for somebody to rudely cut ahead. They then promptly fell off as well and completely blocked my path. I'll admit to offering them some polite, constructive criticism!

Doing my best to avoid the mayhem I worked my way forward, sometimes jumping 3 or 4 riders when the path opened and I had the opportunity. I finished the first lap 24th and was riding with the leading female riders. Despite the huge field I spent the next lap almost entirely on my own. Having pulled away from the ladies, and still feeling fresh I was able to fully enjoy the course. However, I was still only 23rd; I told myself that a top 20 finish would sound a lot better at the end of the day.

By now I had already started lapping the tail enders. It is always frustrating and with stunning regularity you seem to catch them at the worst moment. This will be either just entering a long section of singletrack, or a narrow climb where you can't get through. Traditionally a friendly shout of "Rider left" encourages them to politely move aside at the next available opportunity. For some reason yesterday I seemed to encounter several who adamantly refused to move off the racing line. It was during this period that I collected a small group of followers. At various points over the next few laps two or three riders followed my wheel, but they never came through to help!

I'm pleased to say I eventually left them behind and as the field spread the course became busier. It was hard to tell who you were racing amongst all the riders, spread out on different laps. So after 7 laps and 4hours 30 minutes, I'll admit to being very pleased to cross the line in 18th. 

My legs are stiff and sore today, but I know that I managed to get my full potential out, having left nothing on the course. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice Information! I personally really appreciate your article. This is a great website. I will make sure that I stop back again!.carbon fiber bike wheels

    ReplyDelete