Monday 16 December 2013

Brass Monkeys - Round 2


As a cyclist you’ll have days when you can ride like a train all day, and times when your legs seem to have turned to lead overnight. The strange thing is you know which it is going to be from the first turn of the pedals.

Three weeks ago at round 1 I could just ride and ride! I pushed from the start, attacked the hills and had energy for every overtake before surging to the line. Sunday was the exact opposite; I was struggling from beginning to end!
I didn’t repeat the mistake of the first race. Making a much better start, I slotted in around 20th and avoided the inevitable congestion further back. Over-heating was my initial problem. I was one of a minority of riders who’d opted for overshoes and arm warmers. Chasing around the dry trails in relatively mild temperatures, this looked to be a big mistake.

As expected at Caesars Camp, the course had several taxing climbs. The main hill was seemingly endless, repeatedly kicking up again and again. However, it will be the loose, rocky vertical incline later in the lap that will be forever etched in the memories of the riders.

Over the first lap I gained some places but struggled physically and mentally as other riders zoomed past. Then the wind picked up and it started to rain. The trails became increasingly treacherous and slippery. Finally my overshoes were invaluable as I plunged on through the seven mile mudfest.
Lap three, half way and I was dead on my feet. The thought of even one more trip up those climbs was enough to send me crawling back to the comfort of the car. Hauling myself across the line, the commentator said I was in 16th. Wow! This was the motivation I needed, so I gulped a gel, ate an energy bar and pushed on.

To give an idea of how bad conditions became, my first lap was 37minutes, but by the end I was sliding around in 48 minutes. I’d still made up a position, finishing 15th. Surprisingly three places better than round 1.

It only goes to show that even if you feel terrible it’s worth persevering.

No comments:

Post a Comment