Monday 28 April 2014

Countdown to Selkirk - 4 Hour MTB training ride from Chichester

At 2pm under grey ominous skies a nervous gaggle of riders were huddled on the starting grid in the New Forest waiting for the 3rd round of the Southern XC series to get underway. Meanwhile I was in my garden hosing an inch of mud off my legs!

Instead of racing I had been on a 4 hour training ride in preparation for the National Marathon Championships, which take place at Selkirk in the Scottish borders on the 10th May. A date that suddenly seems alarmingly close! The entry list includes ex-Olympians and multiple national champions, so there is considerable incentive not to embarrass myself!

I have ridden more miles, and spent more time in the saddle over the first 3 months of 2014 than any previous year, but after my holiday I was conscious that I hadn’t completed a long ride for a couple of weeks. So instead of packing the car for the New Forest, I was out the door and spinning my way towards a South Downs swathed in mist and cloud.

Showers were forecast, and it started to rain almost the instant I settled into the saddle. Unfortunately this particular shower lasted for 4 hours, just varying occasionally in intensity. The first off-road section of my ride took me up through the stunning Bluebells of the Rewell Wood. In the sunshine it would have been worthy of a postcard. Unfortunately the rainwater had already started to puddle and turn the surface of the trails into a glossy emulsion. At this point not being too dirty I was still bothering to avoid the puddles.


All it needed was some sunshine!
Having pitched into Houghton Forest at Whiteways I made my way up what Strava has appropriately named the “Full Lung Busting Denture” climb. My plan of action for the day was to take on the longest climbs I could find, based on the certain knowledge that the Mountains around Selkirk will dish out a serious climbing challenge.

Still smiling!
Once back down into Droke the next climb was up through Charlton Forest to the South Downs Way. After a mile or so respite the national trail plunges down the a now concreted track into the valley above Cocking, presenting me with the next climb to get up and out the other side. By now bike and rider were a nice shade of chalky grey, and I was plunging unconcerned through the puddles and mud. The rain was still beating down and trail conditions had deteriorated badly. Every turn of the bars was an adventure into unknown territory! I can’t help but think that it might have been representative training for a trip to the Scottish Mountains in May! So having slid and squeltched my way to Harting Down I turned for home, over the two remaining climbs of Telegraph Hill and a particularly muddy Kingley Vale.

Back home I resorted to the hose to remove the mud from tired legs and clothing, before my wife would even entertain letting me near the house. I also had to chisel the chalky residue from what, before today, had still been my shiny new bike. With perfect timing the rain immediately ceased, the sun broke through and shone for the rest of the afternoon!

My final training ride next week will be in a race environment. I’ll be tackling 5 laps of the 10 mile Gorrick Enduro course, which will give me chance to practice the necessary eating, and hydration techniques before travelling to Scotland. Stay tuned to see how it goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment