Monday 14 April 2014

Podium at Porridgepot

A blend of Goldfrapp and muffled commentary from the PA system drifted through the woods. I was nearing the end of my final lap, there was no more I could do to catch the rider ahead, all I had now was the occasional glimpse of him through the trees. I couldn’t hear a rider behind and I had seen nothing but an empty path when I had dared to glance over my shoulder a little earlier. I kept on pushing just in case, I was in third and would be standing on the podium for the first time this year, all I had to do now was bring it home. My attention moved to the bike and I started to worry, terrified every creak was the tell tale sign of an imminent component failure. I almost convinced myself that the rear tyre was going soft as I avoided stones and roots I had simply blasted straight across earlier in the race.



The final round of the Gorrick Spring Series had begun under clear blue skies. The course was dry and fast, with plenty of high speed singletrack to test the reflexes. I hadn’t entered the previous rounds so I was not gridded at the start, mingling instead with the massed ranks of riders lured out by the spring sunshine. As we dashed off down a steep, rooty decent I was repeatedly boxed in as we all jostled to get to the front. There wasn’t really any pressure on me for this event, it was a bit of a  bonus ride after a week away with the family in Devon scoffing chips and ice-cream. With nothing to lose I was probably slightly more assertive than normal and forced my way into 5th as the path narrowed.

The leader quickly pulled away from the group of three ahead of me, as I fought to stay in contact. Gorrick have re-jigged their start times, but I cannot understand why they set the womens races off first. We were almost immediately catching the back markers and there is nothing more frustrating than watching your opponents pull away while you’re snarled up behind a slower rider. I was bulked a couple of times and had to push hard to get back on the wheels of those ahead. Having closed the gap I dipped inside one and then another at a couple of the slower corners, but we were all clogged up behind the rider in 2nd . Finally the path opened onto a short section of tarmac and I accelerated past, towing those behind through with me. Having stolen a slipstream, they tried to sneak ahead at the next corner, but I closed the door and pushed hard up the next hill. Over the top of the climb the series leader came past and we slowly rode away from those following.
 
By the end of the first lap I had dropped 20 seconds behind 2nd place and spent the next two laps repeatedly attempting to close the gap. Half way through the final lap I got within a couple of bike lengths, but I had burnt my bridges and when he pushed for home towards the end I couldn’t go with him. Despite my paranoia there was no puncture and the bike held together perfectly, on perhaps it’s final competitive outing. I passed under the finishing banner extremely pleased with 3rd position.

No comments:

Post a Comment