Tuesday 1 July 2014

30 minutes after leaving work....

My laid back recovery continues under sunny skies! Just 30 minutes after work I can be on the South Downs. 


I have been taking the chance to explore new trails and found a real gem today. I regularly ride past the bridleway sign near Funtington on my way home, but this time I took the plunge. What I discovered was half a mile of sinuous, snaking singletrack. Hidden, winding between the trees a second trail has formed to avoid the main path, which shows heavy use by horses and is probably impassable when wet. Leading to a derelict farm it provides a perfect link from the south to access the trails at Kingley Vale.

My riding hasn't been that focused in the 7 weeks since face planting tarmac at 30mph. I've been cycling purely for pleasure for the first time in years. Largely  saddle time has been squeezed into the mornings and evenings either side of work, leaving weekends for time with the family. I've gone where my wheels take me, and if I don't feel like a horrible climb I'll find a alternative route round. I can sense my confidence isn't quite where it was pre accident and my weight and fitness show signs of my laid back attitude. I'll continue to enjoy my new relaxed approach through the summer before formalising my plans for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment