Friday 9 January 2015

Schwalbe Durano Tyre – Quick Review



This is sure to be the kiss of death but I felt compelled to post a quick review so impressed have I been so far with these tyres.

I’ve ridden my fair share of tyres but in the past, come the winter, I usually fall back on the ever popular and reliable Continental Gatorskins. This year however, back in October as I was preparing my road bike for the winter ahead, I was lured instead into buying some Schwalbe Durano tyres. It was a decision based on a special offer at Chainreaction and a glowing review on Bikeradar. Since then I’ve been commuting the 35-40 mile round trip to work at least  3 days a week in all conditions, most of them wet! The bike then gets cleaned on Saturday and regularly called into service for the 3 hour Sunday social.  According to Strava the tyres have just cleared 1500 miles and to my utter amazement I am still waiting for my first puncture. 

From past experience I would normally have expected to have been wrestling with tyre levers several times by now. Undoubtedly luck has played its part, but it is still impressive performance from the Durano’s. Wear seems good and the tyres aren’t littered with the little cut marks that the Conti’s usually seem to pick up. Best of all is the grip and cornering confidence that these tyres offer even on damp roads. The Durano’s handle more like a summer tyre such as the GP4000, which may be due to the dual compound construction, which provides softer rubber on the shoulders of the tyre. Rolling resistance seems to be on a par with other tyres. 

So far I’ve nothing but good words to say about the Schwalbe’s. Although that’ll probably all change on the way to work tomorrow now I’ve posted this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment