Tuesday 3 March 2015

Motivation

My new bike is still cosy and warm in the house, she hasn't even been ostracized to the shed yet! So why have I found my motivation flagging this week? 

Well for a start I'm struggling to get the new bike up and running. Brakes are now bled and seem ok, even if the lever pull is longer than my old Formula R1's. However, a new bottom bracket hasn't sorted the grinding noise and the feeling that I'm churning a sack of broken glass when I pedal. So this meant I missed the first round of the Southern XC series on Sunday while I furiously stripped, cleaned, tightened and greased all to no avail. A new chainring is now on the way for this weekend, so fingers crossed.

Even when I have got out on the road bike I just seem to be getting weaker and weaker at the moment. After the Brass Monkeys series I sort of gave myself a month off. I was still commuting to work but during February I didn't worry about a few days off, what I ate, or having a couple of beers with my dinner. However, this can't explain my total lackof energy, if anything I should be fully stocked, loaded and raring to go. 

My commuting speed seems to be reaching all time lows. Today I dipped below 16mph average speed - old ladies do better heading to the shops. Part of it is physical and I need to get seriously training again, but I'm pretty certain a lot of it is in my head. I just can't be bothered! 

Why? Maybe I am fed up with months of trawling along the A259 in the wind and rain. Possibly all I need is some dry singletrack and a bike to nail it on! I also need a goal, an incentive to push a little harder and dig a little deeper. A reason to be out there fighting the head wind and drizzle at 6.30am. 

So here are my main targets for 2015. Putting them out there will hopefully focus the mind. I'll tell you tomorrow!:
  • Gorrick 100 - 5th May
  • Southern XC Championships - 12th May
  • Summer Monkey - 14th June
  • South Downs Way - June/July
  • National XC Championships - 19th July
  • Brighton Bog Dog - 16th August
  • TORQ in your sleep - 30th August

1 comment:

  1. Well I certainly feeling more positive today than I was when I wrote yesterdays report. The sunshine helped brighten my mood! Average speed was a much more acceptable 17mph and I felt strong enough to have a dig at a couple of Strava segments on the way home.

    ReplyDelete