Wednesday 8 April 2015

Cycling in Majorca

You may have noticed that I have been away! I've been taking advantage of the Easter break for a family holiday in Majorca. More accurately we have been staying in the gorgeous little town of Canyamel on the East coast of the island, approximately 1 hours drive from the airport in the capital, Palma. Temperatures are comfortably short sleeves and shorts in the midday sun, although it can be a bit fresh in the mornings and evenings.

So why am I giving you a full travel itinerary on my bike blog, especially since this was originally intended to be a bike free holiday of rest and relaxation? Two weekends with very little cycling preceeding the trip had left me feeling a little lazy. So I snuck my helmet and shoes into the suitcase - just in case!


View from the top of the hill above Canyamel
At this time of year the island is literally whirring to the sound of spinning pedals as cyclists from all over Europe descend on the island to grab some early season training in the sunshine. Even Bradley Wiggins is apparently a fan! Cyclists were streaming through while we waited to meet our host at the airport, and we passed peletons of cycle clubs, families, couples and soloists everywhere we went. As you can guess there are no shortage of places to hire bikes. At busy times of the year, like early spring, it probably pays to book in advance if you want something specific.

Sturdy and functional!
I didn't and just rolled up to Bisiclete Sancho in the nearby town of Cala Bona and hired the cheapest road bike available at a very acceptable 34 Euro's for 2 days. I've never heard of Opera as a brand and the bike had the mass of the HMS Ark Royal, but the Shimano 105 groupset worked immaculately (better than my bike back home if I am honest) and the tyres and wheels were all tidy and true.

Hard not to smile with the sun on your back!
So early in the morning I snuck downstairs and crept out  the door of the apartment while the family slept. Within a few minutes under the clear blue sky I knew why cyclists flock to this island. With the sun on your back and the beautiful smooth tarmac that seems to make you 2mph faster everywhere you go, I raced along amongst stunning scenery. Although I didn't have chance to explore the north of the island where the hilly terrain encourages so many to head. I still found some serious shorter ramps to surge up with a rush of joy and excitement. After all it was the first week in April and I was out in just shorts and a jersey. It was worth it for that alone! 

I really hope to return in the future for a proper cycling holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment