Sunday 14 June 2015

Merida Summer Monkey


After racing for 6 hours 41 minutes, completing 10 circuits of Frith Hill, I could probably ride the lap blindfold. Not that I could even consider contorting my aching limbs back onto a bike for at least a day or two! 

The course was an absolute belter, 6 miles of constantly twisting and turning woodland trails. There was no restbite and it was extremely challenging to find anywhere to take on a drink or a gel. 

Off the start I tried to go with the front group, but became detached when the rider ahead of me went over the bars, blocking the path! Leading the chasing pack I took a wrong turn at the end of a fast decent, costing myself (and those silly enough to follow) 20-30 seconds. I crossed the line after 38 minutes in 8th place. Only 6 hours to go! 

Apart from passing the backmarkers from the 2 hour race I spent much of the race riding alone. I crept up and slipped past 7th place at the end of lap 4 and moved into 6th on lap 7. The 4 hour leaders caught me later in the day, but despite my lap times dropping to 40minutes I started repassing them as the sun came out towards the finish.

I pushed hard to complete my 9th lap before the 6 hour cut-off, and then cruised round the final circuit knowing there was nobody chasing from behind, in the hope that I might gain a position.

It was nice to be racing again after a month off, and catch up with all the regulars. 60 miles of fun off-road riding and a top 10 result is always nice too!



No comments:

Post a Comment