Sunday 12 July 2015

Prepping for Nationals

The British National Champs are next Sunday so this weekend was all about prepping the bike and making sure I'm all set for the journey to Essex. 

I stripped and cleaned the bike in the sunshine on Saturday and set off for a systems check on Sunday morning. Unfortunately persistent drizzle set in an hour from home, so a lot of the previous days good work was undone!

The ride was also distrupted by a cut tyre. That meant six flats in five rides this week, a pretty scary statistic with the most important race of the year looming. Hopefully that is all the bad luck out of the way. Talking of tyres the only remaining change for next week is to swap out the Fastrak Control and Rocket Ron for lighter and faster rolling S-Works Fastrak and Maxxis Ikon.

A quick clean, change of tyres and she'll be all set for next week.

Training has been going well in over the past few months. I have focused on endurance this year rather than the speed needed for XC racing, but 3rd in my final race boosted confidence and I feel I am in great form. I put this down to the dry weather which has helped me squeeze in off-road commutes several times a week, which are easier to fit in around family commitments. However, the last couple of weekend rides have been a bit shortened by a poorly child at home, which has also meant sleepless nights. Tiredness really dents my ability to recover and as this week went on I just got slower and slower. All I can do now is take it easy for the next few days and keep my powder dry for next Sunday!

Won't be long before he is leaving the old man behind.
Once he was recovered my son did provide one of the most rewarding days as a Dad. Watching my 3 year old hitting the trails and paths up at Goodwood on his balance bike! 

No comments:

Post a Comment