Sunday 23 August 2015

Southern XC - Checkendon

Inspired by my podium finish at the previous round I jostled my way onto the front row at the final race of the Southern series. The only worry to taint my optimism was the risk of burnout after the 170 miles and 10 hours I'd ridden during the week, including long rides Thursday and Friday. Nevertheless there was still plenty of fire in the legs at the starters whistle and I got away at the front of the pack, leading around the grassy start loop. 

One rider pushed inside as I turned into the woods. Under the trees a voyage of discovery awaited. The course had still been dry during my reconnaissance lap, we now had to explore the limited levels of grip at every corner and over every glossy root as the rain poured down. A maze of tape zig zagged back and forth, endless 90 degree corners and hairpins. My technical skills in the tricky conditions were found wanting and two more riders slithered past. The second slipped off his bike forcing me to dismount and allowing a chasing group to catch us while the leaders made their escape. 

I was disappointed and frustrated, confidence low I fell into the group for the remainder of the lap crossing the line in 8th. Back in the open I sprinted around the grassy field section, taking back a place and pulling a respectable gap on those behind. Back in the woodland one rider slowly clawed his way back to my wheel. Slipping side to side and applying power whenever I could I kept him behind me.

What I really needed was a hill to make my strength count, but the Checkendon course is as flat as the perverbial pancake. The sections of boggy grass were my only opportunities to get the hammer down. I could see three riders ahead and tried desperately to close the gap, my confidence in the corners slowly building. 

Last lap; I built a few seconds lead on the rider behind and closed on the nearest man ahead. As we hit the final stretch of grass he was 50 yards ahead. I closed and closed, but the next turn into the singletrack was now just ahead. This was my last chance and I dived up the inside, forcing him wide. He stuck tightly to me for the remaining half a mile until we reached the finishing straight where I had enough left to keep him behind in the sprint for the line.

I was disappointed with 6th, after my high hopes at the start. However, the timesheets show I was only 16 seconds off 4th and 2 minutes behind the winner. With better weather conditions to mask my technical inadequacies and even a small amount of challenging altitude gain I have no doubt I'd have been able to stay at the sharp end.

Anyway this is the final race of the summer. Time at last to relax and return to enjoyable social riding at the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment