Sunday 6 September 2015

Phenom S-Works Saddle 2015

 
The latest bit of bling for my XC race bike is this red Specialized Phenom saddle.
 
Two things strike you as soon as you remove it from the packaging. First is the shiny slippery feel, and second the very short length. Both of these features are intended to help the rider move their body weight around to control the bike over technical terrain.
 
Once fitted the most obvious feature compared to the Romin saddle I have been using on all my bikes for the past 3 years is the noticeable flat profile. The Romin kicks up significantly at the rear, a shape which I have liked as it provides support when putting down the power. The one issue I have found is how the ski jump rear edge catches on shorts when you try a shift your weight backwards behind the saddle.
 
I fitted the Phenom before the final round of the Southern XC at Checkendon. This is the flattest of courses so there was no chance to test the advantages of this saddle in challenging circumstances. However, the fact that the saddle didn't once cross my mind indicates that like the Romin before it, the shape is perfectly suited to me. 
 
Padding is negligible, the carbon body and rails providing a very firm support. Perfect for transferring power to the pedals, and the feathery weight means it takes even less effort to get up to speed and over the next hill.


No comments:

Post a Comment