Monday 21 September 2015

Reflecting (but not for long) on the dangers of cycling




Falling off your bike is a part of cycling, right from that first grazed knee when learning to ride a bike as a child. I think cyclists blank this fact out of their minds, because otherwise we’d all have given up years ago! In just the last two years I have had two bad accidents which have resulted in a trip to A&E. I’d had quite a good run before that, but there was still that incident when I head butted a tree and the day I rode into the back of a parked car. So law of averages say that I’m going end up back in hospital again at some point in the future. Somehow these thoughts don’t cross your mind as you hurl yourself, pedal to the metal, down a steep singletrack decent. You are living in that adrenalin fuelled moment, focused on the enjoyment and competitive instinct of keeping up with those around you.
 
Luckily the majority of accidents don’t result in a trip to the hospital. In actual fact I fall off pretty regularly if I stop to think about it. Last week I came a cropper on a log crossing, bruising my leg. This Sunday a group of us swept into a wooded decent and I caught a handlebar on a tree. The bike stopped instantly, the bar rotating and swinging me up into the air and over the front of the bike. We were going pretty fast at the time, but luckily I landed in the middle of the path unscathed. A few miles later a tree leapt out and struck Dave on his shoulder and we all (Dave included) thought he had busted his collar bone - but he hasn't. Both incidents could easily have been much more serious. It is all down to chance, I know somebody who had a life changing fall just spinning round in the car park before a ride waiting for his mates to get ready.
 
Roadies tend to tangle with each other, as demonstrated by my 30mph face plant last year. Mountain bikers usually run out of talent and end up in the scenery. Whatever the result you can guarantee the first priority of any rider once they have brushed themselves down and the wounds have healed is; “When can I get back on the bike”. It must be addictive!

2 comments:

  1. 1st trip to A&E on 1st November after fall on relatively flat dirt track ends up with 4 fractures to proximal humerus(classed as broken shoulder) requiring surgery. Stainless steel plate and 11 screws in my right shoulder. Now the hard part 2-3 months off bike and plenty of physio. Can only put it down to lack of concentration on such an easy track. Luckily I was with a group and only 2 miles from home, could have been a lot worse. Recently I had put a tracking app on my mobile which I would recommend to everybody now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Hope you are on the mend John. Put your feet up for the winter, and I hope you are back in the saddle as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete