Sunday 13 September 2015

Top 5 - Good and the Bad

In no particular order I thought I would just highlight some of the best things about cycling in 2015 along with the not so positive. Feel free to disagree or nod sagely in agreement!

Good
1. Oval Chainrings - improved traction, smoother pedaling, faster.
2. Gillets - Block out the early morning chill, but once you're up to temperature can be quickly stuffed in a jersey pocket.
3. Summer 2015 - Ok so August was a bit disapointing, but on the whole the local trails have been drier this year than I can remember. Since April the road bike has been put out to pasture while I commuted on dusty bridleways.
4. 1x Drivechain - Reduced weight and no chain suck. Yes, there are a few less gears but you quickly learn to cope. 1x11 is the ultimate but 1x10 works so well I've even converted my road bike.
5. Coffee - The first consideration when planning the Sunday social is always the coffee stop. If cake is envolved then it has to be Compton.

Bad
1. Strava - If it isn't on Strava it didn't happen. As soon as I step through the door why do I feel the urge to fire up the laptop, plug in the Garmin and tell the world all about my most recent ride - even if it is just a trip to the shop. Does anybody out there care how many KOM's I have apart from me?
2. Punctures - Not sure what to blame but I seem to be averaging a flat almost every ride. Is it the Fastrak tyres (5 binned this summer) or have they changed the blend of Stans latex?
3. Money - Just as I think I've got everything sorted something else goes 'plink' or 'clonk'. Cycling can be a money pit, just ask my wife.
4. Disc Brakes - As much as I loved the performance, my old Formula brakes drove me to distraction with constant disc rub. Upgrading to XTR was meant to be an end to my woes. 7 months later and I have just about got the set-up tuned, but I still seem to be fiddling with disc allignment every ride.
5. Bees - Two days off work with a face like a prize boxer. Enough said.

2 comments:

  1. Will be going to 1 x 11 and oval ring ready for next year. What ring did you get Ben?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got an Absolute black 32t on the MTB. Might go 30t next time. Also got Rotor rings on the road bike and commuting bike. Works for me!

    ReplyDelete