Sunday 17 April 2016

Challenge set for 2016 - Grand Raid

The 27th edition of the legendary Grand Raid will take place in Switzerland on the 20th August. The 125km route over the alps between Verbier and Grimentz includes a total of 5000m of vertical ascent. With flights and a chalet in Verbier booked I am looking forward, with admittedly a little trepidation, to being on the starting line this summer.  

As a father of two I won't see much of the Olympians and ex-World Champions at the front of the race. My personal challenge is to finish the course within the strict time limit, which is enforced to ensure nobody is left out on the mountain. 

If I am going to have any hope, I really need to develope my stamina over the next 4 months. Last summers fitness has long since faded, with precious few longer rides in recent months. With this in mind I set off early this morning, braving a chilly April frost. My target was to complete a steady 4 hour ride without the usual weekend stop for cake and coffee. Sitting here this evening the 100km road ride, with under 1000m of climbing, is sitting pretty heavy in my aching legs. I know there is work to do!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment