Saturday 30 July 2016

Stans No Tubes Race Sealant Review



No Tubes have been long time leaders in the tubeless sealant market. This year they released a new race sealant which they claim will patch larger holes, and will block them quicker so less pressure is lost. It supposedly achieves this by using a combination of more and larger particles in the solution.

In my experience the standard solution worked great for thorns, but frequently couldn't cope with cuts in the tyre. In preparation for the races ahead and with two news tyres, it was time to find out if the new latex stood up to the claims. After 20 miles on a fast flinty descent there was the tell tail "Phfft, phfft phfft" and wet latex on my legs. It didn't seal immediately so the group stopped. There was a small 5mm cut in the centre of the thread. The others waited while I held the hole at the bottom of the tyre so the latex flowed over the cut. The air flow slowed, but when I tentatively spun the wheel  a few minutes later it restarted. I repeated this process several times, but in the end I gave up and fitted a tube.

20 miles later the same thing happened with the front wheel. This time I could see a thorn still in the tyre. The best plan is usually to leave the thorn in, and the leak was slow so we continued. 10 minutes later the latex continued to spit out with every revolution of the wheel and the pressure was getting lower. So I pulled out the thorn. At this point all remaining sealant poured out onto the road. Time for a second tube.

In summary it couldn't have been a much worse debut. Especially when the new latex comes at such a premium price. To be clear I had followed the instructions to the letter and thoroughly shaken the bottle and poured the solution directly into the tyres. I'd added two cups, the same as I normally would in a 29er tyre, and was running around 20-25psi pressure in both tyres.

UPDATE: A few days later and with both wheels topped up, it was time for my second ride with the race sealant. 3hrs in and only 5 miles from home I felt the latex hit the back of my legs. It was the tiniest little cut, right in the middle of the tread. So small I could hardly see it. Being close to home, this time I was determined for it to seal. I stopped to give it time to dry, I spun the wheel I tried everything, but each time I rode off the latex sprayed out again.

I limped home with a top up for air and a white stripe of sealant up my back! I continue to be very unimpressed with the new Stans sealant.

No comments:

Post a Comment