Tuesday 28 February 2017

Gorrick Spring Series - Round 2

The Crowthorne course is a true classic. However, the guys and girls at Gorrick do a fantastic job of mixing up the trails and introducing new sections to keep the experience fresh every time we visit. This time the course was the usual challenging twisty, rooty singletrack, linked with some open fireroad to test the legs and lungs. Storm Doris had left the course super grippy so it was fast and furious with no let up.

Charging away down the long open start we jostled for position as the path undulated up and down. One second I was in 3rd then some riders powered by in the slipstream, then they faded and others came through. It was frantic! On the final rise that lead into the first section of singletrack I surged into 2nd and dived between the trees.

Lungs burning I whipped the bike left and right, the leader pulling away slightly in front. Briefly I was on my own, but soon another rider was breathing down my neck and he eventually bundled through on the inside of a sweeping bend. Head down I chased hard, he was the same rider who had finished just ahead of me at the previous round, depriving me of a podium spot.

We hit the next open section, and I tucked into an aero position and fought back to his wheel, but I had dragged two companions with me in my wake. They both slithered past as we rode briefly in a group of 4 before the elastic began to stretch and the gaps started to grow. I was at the back, keeping the rider ahead honest and was only 10 seconds back when we completed the first lap.

I was still carrying the scars from my road traffic accident on Tuesday. Dosed up with Ibuprofen my shoulder, which had been my main concern, wasn't really causing me any grief but deep breathing was uncomfortable with sore ribs.

Into lap 2 and initially the gap ahead probably grew slightly but then I became aware that he was slowly but surely coming back to me. I drew myself closer and closer until I grabbed the opportunity to duck past as he stumbled on the roots, running wide while letting through the leading rider who had caught us both from the race behind.  

I gave it all I had, using the faster rider to pace myself and eek out a bit of a gap. However, I couldn't completely shake off my pursuer. Every time I checked over my shoulder he would be there and he wasn't giving up! Even when I couldn't see him the rattle of his bike over the roots was a constant reminder to keep pushing. On the final straight I glanced back and he was charging out of the saddle in flat out hot pursuit!

I had built up a large enough gap and finished 4th for the second event running. Maybe I'll get on the podium next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment