Wednesday 22 March 2017

Gorrick Spring Series Round 3

After two 4th placed finishes at the previous rounds I was sitting in second place in the Gorrick Spring series. I already knew that the series leader would be missing the third round so I was keen to finally make that step onto the podium and also collect as many points as possible in his absence.

We were back at Area 51 near Frimley, the site of February's first round. This time however there was no ice that had made the previous race so treacherous. Instead the conditions were dry and the course was running extremely fast. The guys at Gorrick had also been busy cutting in some new trails and linking everything up in reverse to provide a different race track from our previous visit. The end result was very similar though, 100% twisting, undulating singletrack with very little opportunity to relax. Even quickly taking a gel required two attempts!

Third away from the line I followed the leading two into the first climb. The leader was already stretching his legs and opening a gap. I was through into 2nd on the next incline when I was asked if I wanted to pass by the rider ahead. This was an unexpected courtesy! I thought he might perhaps have a mechanical problem, but he re-joined and continued behind me. The leader was soon out sight and despite the presence of the rider behind I steadily stretched out my advantage.

It grew to 20 seconds at the end of the first lap, 40 seconds by lap 2 and nearly a minute into lap 3. By now I was feeling comfortable, but behind me I spotted my friend Jon. He was riding Grand Vets so we weren't directly racing, but there was honour at stake! I pushed a little harder to try and stay ahead until the finish. First I misjudged an awkward root and had to dab a foot to regain balance. Then I brushed a tree while cutting the line a little too tight. It was time for a reality check, I was fatigued and making mistakes. There was no reason to take the risk so I accepted defeat in the friendly rivalry stakes and eased the pace back slightly, finishing in a comfortable 2nd.

So persistence and consistency means I will head into the final round leading the series. I'll need another podium finish to guarantee I stay there.





No comments:

Post a Comment