Friday 17 November 2017

British Cycling allow disc brakes in road races for 2018!

Just as I was mulling over what events to enter next year, British Cycling announce that they are going to allow disc brakes in road races.
Tip toeing around Goodwood in the bunch
I entered a closed circuit race at Goodwood last summer, but I had to break my old Trek out of retirement, as it was the only bike I had that was eligible. I wasn’t feeling particularly confident about the experience of bunch racing anyway, given the hospital visit that followed my previous road race! So not being on my usual bike didn’t help. Also the Merida Scultura is undoubtedly a much better weapon for racing. I know “it’s not about the bike” but it would certainly help psychologically at least.
Race legal this year!
So I am delighted that BC have seen the light. I know others will not be, siting the discrepancy in braking ability within the bunch as dangerous – not an argument I understand. The aim of the announcement was to make the sport more inclusive and accessible. For me at least it has worked. I wasn’t planning on adding any road events to my calendar for 2018, but now I’ll definitely give it some consideration. (Just don't tell Mrs C!)

Well done British Cycling!

No comments:

Post a Comment