Monday 11 December 2017

Brass Monkeys Racing

Exhausted, fingers too numb with cold to push the gear shift, the icey rain dripping down my neck and sloshing into my shoes around frozen toes. Fighting to make progress with my rear wheel fishtailing due to lack of grip in the muddy slime.

The winter Brass Monkeys series has been a favourite of mine since 2010! The Marathon race format in winter conditions proves a challenge for both rider and machine. Over the years we’ve experienced everything from boggy mud baths to rock hard frozen ground, ice and snow.

Of course sometimes it’s a glorious days racing, sweeping around the technical woodland course in winter sunshine. However, you have to be realistic about the UK weather if entering outdoor events in December and January.

It is a format that suits me and I’ve raced consistently in the top 10, ending the 2014/15 series 5th overall. A good series position is all about consistency and getting the bike across the line at all the rounds over a winter of 16+ hours racing. Mechanicals and illness have scuppered my hopes more than once!
I missed last years races due to other commitments, but I’ll be back on the starting line for ‘The Christmas Cracker’ on Sunday. I’ve learnt my lesson and won’t be wearing a Santa outfit this year!

The format has changed since I last raced. Previously you had to start your last lap before the 4 hour curfew. I’ve forgotten how many times I raced against the clock to squeeze in another lap and having killed myself to make it across the line with seconds to spare, then had to set off on another 7 mile loop! Since last year the events have effectively been shortened, as riders now have to complete their final lap within 4 hours. So race times will be around an hour less. 3 ½ to 4 hours might be a benefit to me as I’ve fewer training miles in my legs.

Getting your clothing right is a big challenge for winter racing. Standing on a frosty start line in the morning all those thermal layers might make sense, but as the sun comes up and temperatures rise it’s easy to overheat. After 4 hours riding in heavy rain you’ll be soaked no matter what you’re wearing, so you have to decide if it’s worth putting on a sweaty waterproof and trapping a gallon of water in neoprene overshoes? It’s best to keep some spare layers in the pit just in case conditions change either way.

It’s also important that your bike is running flawlessly at the start, because any mechanical weakness will be found out. At muddy events brake pads quickly wear and racing on a slippery course without brakes can end in disaster. Badly prepped gears and drivechain will only get worse as they clog, costing time with every sticky shift. I’ve stopped fitting proper winter tyres in all but the very worst conditions, sticking with the confidence that comes from familiarity. Despite its low profile tread the Specialized Fastrak copes admirably in winter conditions and rolls well on frozen or more solid ground. A Schwalbe Rocket Ron digs in nicely up front and the open lugs don’t easily clog. I’ll switch the Fastrak to a Snakeskin Ron on the rear if it looks like it’s going to be muddy.

This kind of event is all about keeping the legs turning. You’re the engine, so eat and drink well the day before, and stock your pit area with food and fluids that you can take on every 15 minutes right up to that final caffeine gel to power you round the final lap!

There are 3 events in this years series.

·         The Christmas Cracker  - December 17th
·         The New year Hangover  - January 7th

·         The Winter Warmer - January 28th

No comments:

Post a Comment