Monday 4 December 2017

The Magic Number!

What is the ideal number of bikes? General wisdom is of course that it is one more than you currently own!

I was checking my stats on Strava the other day. It was the end of November and I had just cleared 5000 miles for the year so far. What caught my attention however, was that I had divided this mileage perfectly equally (to within 50miles) between my 4 steads.

It’s a bit of a lucky fluke, but it suggests that maybe I’ve got my riding stable pretty sorted for the cycling that I do.

I’m lucky enough to have two mountain and two road bikes. A pair of Sunday best, race day bikes, plus two commuting and training work horses. My “go to” bike is the fully rigid Stumpjumper, as it can go anywhere keeping my options open. It’s really my version of the now very on trend Gravel Bike.

This stat also highlights the change in my circumstances this year. Normally, despite calling myself a mountain biker, the core of my annual mileage was on the road. This year it’s interesting to see when I have had chance to get out I’ve ridden as many off-road miles. The average speed will be slower off-road so I’ll actually have spent more time on the mountain bikes.

So does this mean there is no need for a new bike? Of course not! There is always the lure of something newer and shinier! An Epic Hardtail please Santa! 


No comments:

Post a Comment